Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm going to start TPRS

I am going to do my best this year of incorporating TPRS (Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling).

I went to a 3 day workshop this summer and it has completely supercharged my expectations of myself in the classroom with my students.  I really hope to be able to deliver the language to them through the TPRS method.  However, one of the neatest things about TPRS is that it is so customizable and it builds off the personality of the teacher as well as the class.

The basic premise is that we can teach students through Total Physical Response actions as well as Storytelling.  We start off teaching actions and then later build that into storytelling.  Students acquire the language better through the narrative and the associations that are created through the meaningful narrative.

The better narratives will be able to evoke some sort of emotion.  It seems as though the examples that were given were about goofy and crazy situations.  However, someone once told me before performing improv that you do not have to make it funny.  Some of the best scenes he had done had people crying at the end.

So I will start out goofy.  But part of me wants to try out other storytelling genres with TPRS and see if the other narratives also have positive results on the memory of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment