Thursday, October 9, 2014

TPRS year 5 - Movietalk/Song - Celos

There is a song I discovered years ago and always found a way to tie it into storytelling because of the themes in it of romance and betrayal.  It also has a lot of good solid TPR words like body parts and concrete actions (kiss, look, walk, dance).  It is seriously the best song.

I just found out it's a remake, but either way, it's the only version I ever knew and it's called Celos.  Fanny Lu (Colombian singer) sings the remake and the video is even fun.

In previous years we did a cloze activity and watched the video.  This year, I have some targets I want to hit on structures (busca, encuentra, quiere hablar con, se cae, camina, sobre/hacia) and thought this would be the perfect way to introduce those before we read Agentes Secretos y el mural de Picasso.

So here's the activity I came up with.  Let me know what you think!


We started out with TPR of some new words: llama, habla, hacia, sobre.
We established gestures, we came up with associations, and we practiced them for a few minutes to move around a little bit.  I reviewed some other words: agarra, mira, camina, etc.

Then I showed them my Presentation of screenshots of the music video.  My students already know the phrase "tiene celos" (s/he has jealousy) since I teach it early on in the year and do a little dance like she does in the video and explain that's my gesture for jealousy.

We did a little talk about the slides.  Engagement was high.  Students were enjoying the theme and weird pictures of a giant woman looking for a cartoony boyfriend.

Then we only had time for one version of the reading.  I had them do reading volleyball.  It went well and I think next class we'll do version 2 (and maybe 3 if we have time).  (See embedded readings)

Of course, we'll go over the song next class or the following too if we get a chance.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your generosity! TPRS/CI is new for this old teacher, and I'm still finding my way. I attended the NTPRS in Chicago in August, and I loved your closing address. I am trying to "interrupt" as many little lives as I can this year.

    ReplyDelete