Friday, November 2, 2012

FLAM Conference St Louis 2012

So a few weekends back, I was given the opportunity to co-present two sessions at Foreign Language Association of Missouri (FLAM) with Youtube's Spanish and Portuguese guru, Professor Jason.  It all started on twitter since I had seen him at last year's conference and thought, "Wow.  That's the guy from Youtube!"  I know it's silly since Youtube is one of those things that anyone can get on provided they have a camera and some video-editing software.  I hit him up later on Twitter and we decided to give some sessions about our videos to foreign language teachers in Missouri at the FLAM conference in St Louis.

He covered the first part mostly about the usefulness of videos such as ours in learning and education in the future.  We are seeing a major shift in how the global classroom is.  People can learn many things on the internet that they couldn't before.

In the second session, we presented on our actual process of video-making.  I took the chunk of time up explaining my process because as the years have gone by, I have continued to hone it and it has gotten much more complicated.  If you would like to see more or less what I presented, here are some videos I made for those who had to leave the session early or wanted to see afterwards, click here.

FLAM was ok this year.  I really was hoping for more TPRS-friendly presentations.  I was talking to the guy that I've been conspiring with this year (post about that later) and I thought we should try to present next year at FLAM a few sessions on TPRS.  I would like to do three sessions.

1. Session 1: an immersion into TPRS (a class conducted in TPRS)
2. Session 2: a TPRS workshop (where we can learn about some skills and practice a few)
3. Session 3: How we integrate TPRS into our classrooms (with examples, possibly videos of students, etc)

I think it would help.  There seemed to be a lot of interest in TPRS, but many didn't really feel comfortable enough to use it for lack of seeing it in action.  Let's hope I can present on it next year!

1 comment:

  1. I would be very interested in attending your presentation at FLAM if you are going to give one! I hope that idea pans out.

    ReplyDelete